Thursday, July 21, 2011

Exotic Animal Petting Zoo - I Have Made My Bed In Darkness

Exotic Animal Petting Zoo is an experimental and progressive rock band from Crown Point, Indiana. The band was formed in 2004 by brothers Brandon and Stephen Carr. Upon first hearing their 2008 album I Have Made My Bed In Darkness, I had little hope for this four-piece. To me, their music seemed like a rip-off of other so-called progressive acts trying to sound different. This was until I played the album again and realized that these guys are doing something completely different and have many great influences including The Smashing Pumpkins, The Dillinger Escape Plan, Deftones, Incubus, and experimental bands like Sigur Ros. Exotic Animal Petting Zoo is the type of band that could appeal to almost anyone because of their universal sound that combines math-rock, ambient, progressive, alternative, and atmospheric. The songs on I Have Made My Bed In Darkness include technical guitar riffs, down-tempo elements, and unique time changes. It takes a great amount of skill for a band to pull off a bizarre, all-over-the-place album like I Have Made My Bed In Darkness successfully. Thankfully, Exotic Animal Petting Zoo have this skill. Albums like I Have Made My Bed In Darkness can be very hit or miss (liked or disliked), due to the wide variety of elements. The success of the music all depends on the band's approach and effort, and Exotic Animal Petting Zoo has become very successful due to their hard work approach. They have created less of a record and more of a beautiful and unique experience with I Have Made My Bed In Darkness. Do yourself a favor and pick up a copy of Exotic Animal Petting Zoo's I Have Made My Bed In Darkness.


Check out the track "A Balloon Enters Kyoto City" off of Exotic Animal Petting Zoo's I Have Made My Bed In Darkness:

No comments:

Post a Comment